The New York Attorney General’s office has created the Immigration Restitution Fund to assist immigrants who were falsely promised citizenship, residency or other immigration related services by two well known Immigration Assistance Service Programs.
Are you an immigrant who was a client of the International Immigration Foundation, Inc (IIF) or the International Professional Association (IPA)? If so, the New York Legal Assistance Group and the New York State Attorney General’s Office want to hear from you about your experience.
If you were a former client of IPF or IFF, you may also be able to get your money back. To be considered for restitution from the Fund the form must be completed and submitted by October 23, 2014. You may contact the Fund hotline (212-514-4265) with any questions or concerns. The claim form can be submitted Online or by Mail
- Send to: NYLAG, Attn: Restitution Fund, 7 Hanover Square, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004 or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Fax (212-714-7400).
Here are some precautions you can take to protect yourself against immigration fraud from the Vera Institute of Justice:
- If you decide to use professional services for help with your case, get and keep a written contract.
- Do not pay cash for professional immigration services. If you can, use a check or credit card instead, and get and keep a receipt.
- Never give your original documents (birth certificates, passports, or other documents) to anyone who is helping you with immigration matters.
- Never sign a blank form, application, or petition.
- Do not sign any forms, applications, or papers containing false statements or inaccurate information.
- Beware of anyone who offers to file a legalization application for you as they may be putting you in danger of removal or deportation.
If you decide to use an Immigration Assistance Service Provider, here are some tips.
For more information you can visit our Immigration Fraud section at LawHelpNY.