All about rent regulations in NYC

Do you know if your apartment is rent regulated?

There is no doubt that it’s getting harder and harder to find an affordable apartment in New York City.  Despite rent regulations, many NYC apartments are still very expensive for most New Yorkers, especially those with limited income. Or in some cases, you may not even know if your apartment is rent regulated and of your rights as a tenant in a rent regulated apartment.  Even if a landlord says a whole building is not rent regulated, there may be specific units within a building which may still be rent regulated.  So,

Do you know if your apartment is rent stabilized or rent controlled?

To find out if your apartment is rent regulated call the state agency that administers rent laws, NY State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR) at 718-739-6400 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-739-6400 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or 212-961-8930 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 212-961-8930 end_of_the_skype_highlighting and ask if the apartment is (or should be) rent stabilized.  You can also email them at

If your apartment is stabilized, your landlord is supposed to provide you with a Rent Stabilization “Lease Rider” with your lease.  This “Lease Rider” informs you of your rights and responsibilities as a rent stabilized tenant.  The “Lease Rider” also includes information on the prior rent of the apartment and any reasons why the rent was increased.  You can call the DHCR and file a complaint if your landlord did not provide the Rider or provided a rider with incomplete information.

Click here to get more information on rent stabilization laws and your rights as a tenant in a rent stabilized apartment.

If you are a tenant in a rent stabilized apartment whose rights have been trampled click here for a list of free legal aid providers who may be able to assist you.

3 thoughts on “All about rent regulations in NYC”

  1. Hi,
    Is it right that every costly high rise apartments in NYC has units available for low or middle income families? How can we avail of these apartments?
    What happens if one has a lease of one year and due to various circumstances could not pay the rent..? Is there any recourse.
    Thank you.

    • Hi Evelyn,

      There are some situations where low and middle income apartments are required in expensive high rise apartments as it relates to certain tax abatements the developers received from the City. But this is not required for all expensive high rise apartments. In regards to your question about what happens if one has a lease of one year and can not pay rent I would call the Legal Hotline (212 626-7383) to inquire about what recourse could be available in this situation.

      For those high rise apartments that are required to provide units to low or middle income families, they often post notice of lotteries for these units on these websites: or here

Comments are closed.