The Department of Consumer Affairs All consumers should know the ten following tips:
1. Check a business’ license status and complaint history.
2. Look for refund policies and credit card limitations, which stores must post.
3. Look for prices, which stores must post for goods and services.
4. Ask for and keep receipts.
5. Beware of false advertising and scams.
6. Look for a DCA seal on scales, gas pumps, and home heating oil delivery trucks, which shows they passed inspection.
7. Protect your identity.
8. Research, negotiate, and review contracts carefully.
9. Tackle your debt and take control of your finances.
10. File a complaint if you’ve had a problem the business won’t resolve.
Ten Things Every Consumer Should Know: PDF